[thechat] Jan 18 peace march

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Sun Jan 19 14:23:01 CST 2003

Portland held a "no attack on Iraq/dump Bush" peace march yesterday.

I went with my 7 year old daughter who loved "the parade" especially
the big bush/ashcroft/cheney puppets and is begging me to go to the
next one which is being held tomorrow MLK day coordinated with the
march on Washington.  (Portland is a busy place...)

I want to say that the police were very well behaved; all the
downtown streets were closed off, no one was wearing riot gear, and
not a single crowd control weapon was fired.  The cops were mostly
riding around the edges on mountain bikes with shorts on, very
mellow, showing their cute little cop knees...

The participants are saying there were about 20,000 people there.  I
don't know; we came at the tail end.

I don't know what good these marches do but at least it's an
educational experience for the kids.  Also, I heard on the news that
the city of Chicago passed an anti-war resolution and sent it to
Washington... several cities have done the same but Chicago is the
largest to date.

Our economy is in the toilet... In Oregon there are so many people
going hungry (sometimes I'm one of them) the schools are in total
crisis... (our PTA is going psycho trying to fill in the holes).  It
appears the military ramp-up is hitting Americans where it hurts: in
the wallet.

Here are some pix
http://www.corereflections.com/peace.htm

peace,