[thechat] keeping track of music?

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Sun Jan 19 17:40:01 CST 2003

Shirley wrote:
> I've only mildly glanced at RealPlayer's sorting capabilities, Windows
> Media Player, and other programs that will search your hard drive. I guess
> I don't necessarily want to be tied in to a particular program for this.

Well, I'm just going to go against what you just said and mention a
specific program. Hehe.

Check out Media Centre (formerly Media Jukebox) from
http://www.musicex.com/.

This software (which you need to pay for if you're going to use it for
more than, I think, 30 days) is a jukeboxy-type program which blows
anything else I've ever used out of the water. It is flabbergastingly
powerful; anyone who thinks that Windows Media Player or (ack!
phht!) RealJukebox is a good system for managing media files would be
amazed by how wrong they are.

It is very powerful, but that also means that it can be a little confusing
to set up JUST the way you want it; 'tech-head' types who are used to
using databases and so on might find it a little easier to work out
what they want than might those who are not technically-inclined.

Searching and organising, the areas where other jukebox-type programs
are sorely lacking, are MC's forte. It's truly superb.

Not affiliated; merely a user who was more than happy to shell out the
readies for a truly outstanding piece of software.

Cheers,

Paul