[thechat] More b&w pics

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Mon Jan 20 15:13:01 CST 2003

On Friday, January 17, 2003, at 06:28  am, noah wrote:

>> > Why are so many web developers interested in photography?
>>
>> attractiveness of a visual medium, m'thinks...
>
> Also, though it's a visual medium, it's not like painting or drawing
> where
> you have to have a certain (perhaps innate) dexterity. With
> photography, as
> with web design/development, someone with a good eye and a set of
> acquired
> skills can create good stuff.

And the thing is - a good eye is the most important element in art, and
hardest of all things to teach.

Similarly, I'll pick a musician who can hear and feel the music over one
who can play lots of notes accurately every time. As the joke went about
a rival to Chopin - the difference between X and a pianola is that X can
play twice as fast, but the pianola has twice as much feeling.

As I'm in the mood (drinking good Italian wine and eating 100% cacao
mass chocolate from http://www.domori.com), here's another quote:
You know all the words
And you sung all the notes
but you never quite learned the song
http://sniff.numachi.com/~rickheit/dtrad/pages/tiHEDGSONG.html

(not to be mistaken for the *other* hedgehog song:
http://www.hedgie.com/shrine/hedgehog_song.html )

Cheers
Martin
   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,