[thechat] Jan 18 peace march

John Handelaar john at evolt.org.uk
Mon Jan 20 17:50:00 CST 2003

On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 22:47, Erika Meyer wrote:
> Adrian wrote:
> >bringing kids to marches is, IMO, just the first step of a parent in
> >asserting his/her own values onto his/her children (brainwashing)...
> >which is not a bad thing in and of itself, presuming the parent also
> >teaches the child how to question... but i hate seeing kids waving
> >placards
>
> actually Brook gave me a hard time because we didn't have a sign.
> I'm really not a sign-waving type... I'm not a chanting type... I
> just wanted to make a little show of support.
>
> To her it was a "parade."

I just spent 10 minutes looking for this post I recalled
which a) relates to CND where I used to be a honcho at about
the same time this woman was leaving primary school and
b) just fits this thread perfectly.  One of very few things
online which ever made me laugh out loud...

http://www.notsosoft.com/littleredboat/2002_11_17_sunk.shtml#85688837

Kids with placards may be a little distateful (certainly
my brain's wired that way too, but that's a function of how
my brain's wired), but I'm pretty sure it doesn't fuck anyone
up, and fwiw I *never* met a person who was able to take a
kid on a peace movement demo and then dictate thought to the
child.  It'd be way too dissonant, surely?

John Handelaar

T +44 20 8933 1494       M +44 7930 681789
F +44 870 169 7657   E john at userfrenzy.com