[thechat] Jan 18 peace march

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu
Mon Jan 20 23:26:00 CST 2003

Yesterday, the cows mooved aardvark to write:

> > From: Erika Meyer <emeyer at lclark.edu>
> [...]
> > Anyway, brainwashing starts at home, sure, but I think the schools
> > brainwash the worst.  Me & the PTA been battling a bit about such
> > things.  Guess who's gonna win.  (Damn pushy holier-than-though
> > stay-at-home soccer moms...)
> [...]

> i remember looking out my office window one day and seeing about 50
> kids, no older than 5, walking down the street to march on city hall
> for higher teacher wages... *that* disgusted me, and i went down and
> said as much... none of those kids new what they were doing, and they
> were being used as nothing more than props...

I knew teachers at my high school (three years ago) who would get to the
building at 6 or 7 am, teach from 745---215 or 315, and then would be at
the building till 5 or later.  that's 45--50 hours a week, most of it
surrounded by screaming, yelling, fighting hormone machines.  Not to
mention the time in grading, writing creative assignments, et cetera.

This isn't to say all of them did that -- reportedly, bringing one of the
Biology teachers a bottle of Jack (Daniels, cheap Tennessee whiskey) would
get you large amounts of extra credit.  But most of the ones I knew did.
So when they struck, at the beginning of my 7th grade year, and when they
almost struck again when I was in high school, yeah, I was out there with
them.

Public-school teachers should be the highest-paid people on the planet.

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski \\ dangercat-20 at dangercat.net
cs.oberlin.edu/~jswiders  \\  www.dangercat.net/?id=mt

"The damned whore Reason...."         -- Martin Luther