[thechat] finding useful info about US universities

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu
Mon Jan 20 23:56:00 CST 2003

I'm a former student of Oberlin College in Ohio, currently attending a
community college in Michigan, and looking for a university to transfer to
next year (or soon, at least).

The major problem I'm having in trying to figure out where to (try to)
apply to is finding useful information about schools.  Schools' own
websites are just their own propaganda, but places like www.petersons.com
seem to be so concerned with 'news-bite' factlet lists (enrollment, size of
surrounding city, number of programs i'm not interested in majoring in)
that they don't say anything of substance.

So what I'm looking for is a site, or number of sites, with useful,
intelligent, multi-sided informations about universities.  I'm really only
interested in US schools, mostly for financial reasons.  I'm planning to
major in Math/CS, Linguistics, or Tech theatre (focussed, ain't i? :-) ),
so of course, sites which focus more on those subjects would be more useful
than ones rating schools on the strength of their Animal Husbandry
programs.  (Geography isn't much of an issue, but i prefer north over south
(*so* not a hot-weather person).)  Those who recently attended or are
attending college in the States --- how did you make your decision?  Any
sites or other resources you used that you would recommend?

And, of course, personal opinions of schools are welcomed.  (especially
from recent or current students --- you'd be amazed how much a school can
change in a few rounds of students.)

For those who'd like to mail me direct, please do so at
thechat at dangercat.net or jonswid at umich.edu ; this address doesn't get
checked as often.

Thank you all for any assistance and suggestions you can give.

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski \\ dangercat-20 at dangercat.net
cs.oberlin.edu/~jswiders  \\   jswiders.f2o.org/?id=mt

Consultant: Someone who knows 101 ways to make love,
            but can't get a date.