[thechat] Jan 18 peace march

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Tue Jan 21 11:40:11 CST 2003

At 10:14 PM 21-01-03, aardvark wrote:
>seriously, solutions like this have been proposed, but that's part of
>what the teachers raise a stink about (and thanks to using children
>as their tools, they are a powerful lot when they protest)... job
>security goes away for them, particularly the dolts, which makes it
>hard to implement something that purges the incompetent...

Hey, just send ol' Maggie Thatcher over there. I don't think she's doing
much these days (though I could be wrong.)

She'll teach 'em good. :)

>because, let's face it, when you factor in
>kids meals and those playgrounds, it *is* fun...

Correct, and that's exactly what the McDonald's marketing guys are counting
on. They can't sell it as a gourmet restaurant, can they? It's average food
sold cheap and available quickly - mass produced stuff. And even if it
*were* good food, it's much harder to sell to li'l kids than "a fun place
to be".

A business has to make a profit, and successful marketing is part of that
process. If we disagree with the marketing message, it is up to us to not
use the product or service (as long as the company is not doing anything
illegal.)

I'll avoid talking about the education system here in India which,
incidentally, is very good at the private schools. Only at University level
does it fall apart. (If you leave out the premier institutes, of course.
The Indian Institute of Technology is apparently the fourth best place on
this planet for engineering education.)

Madhu