[thechat] jury duty

Chris Evans chris at unhappyfun.com
Wed Jan 22 10:39:01 CST 2003

Erik Mattheis wrote:
> Anybody here served on a jury? What was it like?

I served once, not sure if it works the same way everywhere though.  I
was on duty for two weeks.  They brought down a bunch of people, maybe
30? that sat in the jury waiting room basically.  Whenever a judge
decided they needed a jury, they brought a bunch of us into the jury box
and asked questions ( voir dire?) until they picked a jusry.  the rest
of us went back to the jury prep room.  I was picked for one jury, the
case lasted 2 days, and that was it.

For me, jury duty consisted mostly of sitting around a room with a bunch
of strangers, reading books, playing cards, etc waiting around.

Chris Evans
http://unhappyfun.com