[thechat] When you're happy and you know it bomb Iraq

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Fri Jan 24 14:13:01 CST 2003

>At 02:30 PM 24-01-03, Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:
>>Many people here (in Pakistan) believe that Pakistan is going to be
>>one of the
>>next targets after Iraq.
>
>No way. You have no oil.
>
>:p

I can't imagine what it must be like in the places around Iraq as
they begin to fill up with the US military presence.  It must be
terrifying.

Like the days after Sept 11 there were military jets and helicopters
in the air... even those small things were terrifying to me.

On TV this morning they talked about families where both parents are
being called to active duty (aka WAR), no one knows for how long, and
what they are doing with their children.

This news anchor interviewed one such family... the mother was calm
but gentle, the father was extremely detached (he'd just gotten back
recently, it was clear he hadn't yet really bonded back with his
family)...

but the little nine year old girl fought back tears the whole time.
The news lady (the very pretty-faced soul-less type you know what I
mean) the news lady was asking her cheerful idiotic questions like
"will you miss your mommy and daddy?"  and the girl could barely
croak out a "yes" she was trying so hard not to burst into tears.

And the news lady asked a couple more stupid questions and the little
girl was struggling so hard to maintain composure... and then
newslady talked to the grandma who was going to take over the child
rearing on her own...  grandma was very cool and businesslike.

and then they went on to the next thing, the news lady was like an
android, it was like la la la onto the next story...

btw anyone notice that the morning news shows are just voyeristic...
"oh here's the lady who got a double mastectomy and then found out
she never had cancer... what was it like honey, how does it make you
feel?  Tell us all about it."

And here's the uncle of the guy who murdered his pregnant wife and
two kids... "...So how do you feel? "Was there any sign this was
coming?"

And here's the best friend of the woman who ran over her cheating
husband repeatedly with the $60,000 mercedes..." so when did you find
out he had a mistress?  And how did you find out about his death?
And what was that like?"

And in between those in-depth analysis they talk about movies.

but I digress.

Erika