[thechat] Verisign help

noah noah at tookish.net
Fri Jan 24 15:05:00 CST 2003

At 03:48 PM 24/01/2003, javier velasco wrote:
>also, afaik the evolt.org recomendation is gandi.net, right?
>
>Hugh Blair wrote:
>
> > Go ahead and try to transfer it *now*. You'll pay for another
> > year at any receiving registrar. And if they reject it, keep
> > trying. I've seen some that aren't successful until the 5th try.

Whatever registrar you choose, make sure that they don't charge you for
declined transfers, just in case it does take 5 tries to get it out of
Verisign's clutches. I've been generally very happy with Joker.com, but
they charged me 12 Euros anyway after directNIC declined a transfer away
request.

(In Joker's defence, it was in the transfer agreement that I would pay even
if the request was declined. I was much more frustrated with the cheesy
"Unlock a domain" procedure that directNIC seems to intentionally make
impossible to understand.)

Cheers,
Noah