[thechat] When you're happy and you know it bomb Iraq

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Fri Jan 24 18:01:00 CST 2003

Syed, I agree with Hugh.  People who appear to be middle eastern do
suffer some "hate crimes" on our streets but I don't think it is any
more or any less than any other "minority" group.

The US is full of Muslims and people of color.   We value freedom of
religion here, even if George Bush is a doofus who doesn't know a
crusade from a crucifix.  (I don't think the Crusades were really
about religion either, but at the time it was a valid excuse so it
was employed.)

George Bush doesn't care if you're Muslim, Hindu, or Hare Krishna.

There may be a bit of religious fuel for the Christian Coalition
whackos... but many of them are all bound up in oil too.  For
example, Pat Robertson:
http://www.au.org/churchstate/cs1022.htm

And look at North Korea... are we going to war with them?  No.

They don't say a word on TV, but to the population at large, I think
most of us know what it's about.  It's about oil.  And maybe
secondarily about getting Bush reelected -- so he can continue to
pillage natural resources at home and abroad.

The oil thing is really obvious to most Americans IMO. The rest I
think are trying really hard to buy into the fact that our little
emperor is dressed in layers of beautiful, flowing robes...

Erika