[thechat] The Wifely Duty

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sat Jan 25 12:38:00 CST 2003

On Friday, January 24, 2003, at 07:44  pm, Erika Meyer wrote:

> The PTA was WAAAY more laid back in my school days.  We had
> maybe two fund-raisers a year... now they come weekly...

Also somewhat related to the changed climate of funding I'd think...

>> Ask your friends who married...
>
> hmm... Martin?  Just kidding.
>
> Married friends are bound to speak positively of marriage unless the
> marriage is actually on the rocks... it would be disloyal to do
> otherwise.

Also (more significantly?) because you tend to speak from personal
experience if you have it.

If you've got a currently good marriage, then you'll tend to think that
this is perhaps the norm/way it should be. And vice versa.

fwiw, there's a whole different set of pressures on working fathers,
*especially* if the parents have the traditional earnings ratio (yes, I
know it sucks). I would *love* to have a different job that allows me to
spend more time with Morgan. But we need the money, particularly if Lucy
is to continue to have the freedom of choice over working the 3 days a
week she does at the moment.

Lucy has choice over work. I don't.

Cheers
Martin