[thechat] Bowling for Columbine

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Mon Jan 27 10:05:01 CST 2003

On 27 Jan 2003 at 8:06, Martin Burns posted a message which said:

> Generally, I consider attacking someone with a (by design) lethal weapon
> to be unreasonable.

Is it unreasonable to throw flypaper at them?  It's designed to be
lethal to flying insects.

A hunting weapon is designed to kill *animals*.  You would use a
shotgun to hunt for pheasant, a varmint gun to shoot gophers, a deer
rifle to go after deer.

Attacking someone with a hand grenade *would* be considered
unreasonable under US law.

In general, you are allowed to protect yourself, your property, and
your family with force. You may or may not be permitted, depending on
state law, to protect strangers. But in any case, if it is not
necessary to use the force to accomplish that end, you are not allowed
to use the force.

In other words, if you find a burglar in your home, you can plug him.
If he drop everything, turns, and runs, you aren't allowed to shoot.

deke

--
If I have seen farther than others, it is by stepping on the toes of
giants