[thechat] canada's new democratic party

Tara Cleveland tara at taracleveland.com
Mon Jan 27 14:11:00 CST 2003

Erik Mattheis wrote:

> On Monday, January 27, 2003, at 11:57 AM, Martin Burns wrote:
>> True, a better way around would be that planning permission is only
>> granted to private developers if they allocate a certain %age of their
>> build to homes affordable on basic salaries (or a mix of salaries).
>
> Hmm ... certainly you're not suggesting that a developer would be
> interested in building "affordable housing" without public subsidies?
> Perhaps a few philanthropists would be willing to loose money on
> purpose ...

Well, I may be speaking out of turn, but I think Martin's talking about
requiring developers to have a percentage (not enough to put them totally
out of business) of units be affordable. And he's not saying that the
developers would have to be "interested" in it, he's saying that they
wouldn't get planning permission to build without it. Regulation of the
developer industry instead of public spending on building affordable
housing, ya know.

Tara