[thechat] canada's new democratic party

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Mon Jan 27 16:26:00 CST 2003

Sorry Erik,

>>Are such zoning regulations not already in effect in every urban area
>>in every developed country on the planet? Bitch-slap me if I'm wrong.

There are some places, like Texas, that are _vehemently_ anti-zoning.  Where
you pretty much _have_ to buy into a development or else risk losing your
investment and life's savings when that pig farm goes in next door.

[I know it scared the heck out of me when I moved down here.]

The developments themselves, OTOH, often have a pretty lengthy list of 'bylaws'
that constitute a de facto "zoning" for the area within the development. These
bylaws are 'policed' by the neighborhood Home Owners Association (HOA) rather
than by a governmental agency.  The amount of power the HOA has in enforcement
has been the subject of a lot of discussion over the last year or so here ...
especially after a few folks lost their homes in disputes.

RonL.
(There is a lot of diversity in how different communities handle this stuff
around the US.)