[thechat] LotR (was: hot actresses)

R.Livsey R.Livsey at cache-22.co.uk
Mon Jan 27 20:12:52 CST 2003

isaac wrote:

>Freak! Liv Tyler is average stuff. I thought that time wasted with
>her/Aragorn in TTT could've been far better spent explaining a few more
>things, or finishing with Shelob as per the book.

+100
It would have been such a cinematic ending to have sam running towards
the doors that Frodo had been taken through and to have them slam in his
face as the credits roll as per the ending of the book.

>That whole "apparent death" sidetrack for Aragorn was a waste too.

Yup, that thoroughly annoyed me along with the whole Faramir change.
Just watched all the extra features of the LotR extended edition with PJ
going on endlessly about how they thought really hard about any minor
change etc and how they wanted it to be pure to the books, how can he
say that whilst completely changing whole parts of the story?!
I can understand embelishing the love interests, or missing bits out.
Thats fine with me as I can understand that they can't relistically fit
everything in and that they have to make it more cinematic etc but I'm
just puzzled as to what they gained with having Faramir be such a
different character and Frodo have the close encounter with the ring
wraith as opposed to semi following the book.

And I'm not even a LotR freak, I've just read it recently and it
incensed me! Hmm suppose that might qualify me as a LotR freak?

I'm still waiting for someone to turn the Foundation series into a set
of films :o)
Oooh - or the Gap series by Stephen Donaldson, now *that* was a quality
set of books!!

--
R.Livsey
Incutio Web Developer