[thechat] LotR (was: hot actresses)

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Mon Jan 27 20:29:07 CST 2003

> >Freak! Liv Tyler is average stuff. I thought that time wasted with
> >her/Aragorn in TTT could've been far better spent explaining a few more
> >things, or finishing with Shelob as per the book.
> >
> +100
> It would have been such a cinematic ending to have sam running towards
> the doors that Frodo had been taken through and to have them slam in his
> face as the credits roll as per the ending of the book.

Yeh. As it stands, ROTK is going to be insanely packed with action
sequences. I felt that they could've moved Shelob back a touch.

ROTK will obviously have to fit in Shelob, the rescue of Frodo from the
tower, F+S tagging along with the Orcs, Mt Doom, etc. Also, Aragorn taking
the Path of the Dead, bringing in the fleet from the South. The battle at
Minas Tirith. Then at Morranen. Then eventually the action back The Shire.

And that doesn't even include Merry/Pippin and their dealings with
Theoden/Denethor, which I'd hate to see them rush.

Actually, I might've preferred to have seen the Ent component of TTT told in
a back-story fashion. I just don't think that in 3 hours, and already
allocating time to Helms Deep, Edoras, the pursuit by A/L/G, etc, they could
really justify an accurate portrayal of Entmoot and the awakening of the
Ents/Huorns.

I've read the books maybe 5-10 times (first time when 7).

But didn't the elves come to the rescue at Minas Tirith rather than Helms
Deep? (Though those were from Lorien). I seem to remember the Elves coming
from Rivendell, and potentially Mirkwood too. The sons of Elrond, etc.

I thought it was a bit early to play the Grey Havens/Elven Rescue card!

> just puzzled as to what they gained with having Faramir be such a

Maybe without such a similarity in appearance between Wenham and Bean, they
opted to go for similarities in character to make the ties more obvious.

> different character and Frodo have the close encounter with the ring
> wraith as opposed to semi following the book.

I didn't so much mind that Frodo sequence. I mean, the torment would
realistically make you want to give it all up, and the ring would be a huge
influence on your actions when you were so close to the Nazgul. That and it
not being such a massive departure from the book.

isaac