[thechat] Garner for Ben

Seb Potter seb at members.evolt.org
Tue Jan 28 12:23:34 CST 2003

The MadMan asked:

> Can you say "suspension of disbelief"

Only when I found out that all the Zelnet pubs in Brighton had stopped
serving Guiness. I managed to suspend my disbelief as far as making it
out of the door ten seconds later.

> It's an interesting show, but works in fantasy land. Unless, of course, you
> believe that a woman can go for a swim in ice water that's < 0 degrees and
> not die from hypothermia before she reaches her destination.

I offer for your consideration : http://www.serpentineswimmingclub.com/

The Peter Pan swimming club is (possibly) the oldest in the world,
certainly in the UK. Every christmas day at 9am, since 1864, they have
held the Peter Pan Cup, an astonishing 100 yard swim. The Serpentine (a
branch of the River Thames in east London) regularly freezes, and many
years a hole had to be dug in the ice to allow the race to take place.

If a bunch of septagenarians can do it (my friend's mother does
regularly), then a TV hero(ine) should be able to.

> They had one episode involving an Indian diplomat. Their Hindi was
> atrocious. Totally mangled the pronunciation. ;)

Hah. I hate that.

> Methinks Jennifer Garner is a bit too skinny for this role. When I see her
> kicking ass, it's not convincing enough. Turns out she's a ballerina.

I know several ballerinas. I studied ballet myself from the age of 14.
It makes you VeryHardIndeed (tm). I found it at least as challenging as
Capoeira, and far more so than Judo and Karate.

I used to know a tiny little waif of a girl who could, with little
apparent effort, lift a full-grown man clean above her head.

- seb