[thechat] LotR (was: hot actresses)

Quackamoe quackamoe at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 28 13:39:01 CST 2003

--- isaac <isaac at members.evolt.org> wrote:

> ROTK will obviously have to fit in Shelob, the
> rescue of Frodo from the
> tower, F+S tagging along with the Orcs, Mt Doom,
> etc. Also, Aragorn taking
> the Path of the Dead, bringing in the fleet from the

Here's some speculation from a Tolkien group* I'm on:
the elves that came to Helm's Deep will go through
the Paths of the Dead with A/L/G instead of the
Dunedain. Waddaya think of that idea?

> South. The battle at Minas Tirith. Then at Morranen.
> Then eventually the action back The Shire.

PJ has already said they're not doing the Scouring of
the Shire. They *are* doing the Grey Havens though.

> And that doesn't even include Merry/Pippin and their
> dealings with
> Theoden/Denethor, which I'd hate to see them rush.

+111

> really justify an accurate portrayal of Entmoot and
> the awakening of the Ents/Huorns.

Yeah, no Ents/Hurons at Helm's Deep disappointed me.

> But didn't the elves come to the rescue at Minas
> Tirith rather than Helms Deep?

Theoden and Aragorn came to the rescue at Minas
Tirith.
Only 3 elves were involved - Legolas, Elladan, and
Elrohir (Elrond's sons.) In a bit of backstory, maybe
even in the appendix, we find that the Elves have been

very busy fighting bad guys up north of Gondor.

> I didn't so much mind that Frodo sequence. I mean,
> the torment would
> realistically make you want to give it all up, and
> the ring would be a huge
> influence on your actions when you were so close to
> the Nazgul. That and it
> not being such a massive departure from the book.

This sequence was rather baffling to me. Yours is the
first explanation to make any sense to me at all. I
had no answer to the question "Now, why did PJ do
that?"

The first viewing of TTT was rather upsetting to me:

"Arg, they left that out? Huh? That wasn't in the
book.
Why'd they change that?"

The second and third viewings I was able to enjoy a
great deal. A very great deal. I'll see it many more
times and buy the DVD. I'm comfortable with most of
the omissions and changes and even fabrications. The
Aragorn down the river thing still bothers me and the
portrayal of Faramir, even though I've read a number
of
explanations, just doesn't work for me.

Terry

* I only subscribe to nine Tolkien groups.