[thechat] Bowling for Columbine

Lachlan Cannon luminosity at members.evolt.org
Tue Jan 28 20:39:01 CST 2003

Madhu Menon wrote:
> Big assumption there. That said robber acts in predictable ways i.e., won't
> hurt you unless you pick a fight first. But this isn't a normal person
> you're talking about; it's a criminal. They don't always act logically.
> They might kill you anyway because you can... identify them!

Yep, criminals are not like us mere mortals. they are a different
breed.. dangerous.. why they could do anything. Anything!

As for identification.. weigh this up.. if you do identify them, they'll
get done for theft and breaking and entering. If they kill you to stop
that the police will be working harder on the case (can't let murderers
be running aound), and other witnesses will be more likely to come
forward, saying they saw such and such a car there, et cetera. And if
they do then get caught they're in a whole 'nother world of trouble.

> Yes, I could.
> I consider self-defense acceptable. Protecting one's young is a natural
> instinct hard-wired into many species.
> If it's a "my family or the robber" situation, I'd go with "my family"
> without blinking.

Even though there are other more effective options for taking people
down that also have the bonus of non-lethality? Or is it just that the
gun makes you feel comfortable, whereas taser / pepper spray, etc wouldn't?

> How about this: robber has knife and decides to slit your throat. You have
> gun but would rather not use it because you don't want to "kill anyone".
> What are your choices?

How about this? Robber has knife, I can get away from robber. No death.
Or alternatively, robber has knife, must get close to use it. I spray
pepper spray into his eyes, and am then able to disarm him and get the
cops in. No death. If you go looking to kill then that's all you'll find.

Another scenario: robber has gun and wants to kill me. I try to stop
him. I get shot. Without weapon I try to run. Maybe I'd still get shot,
but the chances are, imho, better that I'd get out of there safely.

Most robbers do not, however, want to kill.

> Another assumption that this gentle robber would just let you run. He's a
> criminal, not a "normal" person. He might just shoot you anyway.

Oftentimes criminals are either poor people who are desperate for money,
or junkies who need something to sell off to get their next fix. The
only thing that makes them not normal is that they want to steal from
you.. their willingness to steal doesn't mean they'll be any more
willing to murder.

A criminal is still a person. People have a psychological barrier to
killing, as evidenced by the military having to put soldiers through
training to densensitise them.

> You haven't run into hardened criminals who have little regard for life.
>
> I would tell you the story of a gang of thieves here in Bangalore that used
> to rob houses, slit the throats of the males, rape the women, then kill
> them, and run off. It's horrifying. They were finally caught. But my
> fingers are tired...

And for that gang of thieves how many other criminals are there who
don't run around killing? And do you really believe that your possession
of a gun is going to stop a fucking gang?

You know, in America they have these guns they can stick home and defend
themselves with, and yet they're much more likely to lock their doors
and not feel safe. Meanwhile I don't have access to a weapon, I've had a
criminal in my house and yet I feel perfectly fucking safe.
--
Lach
Web: http://illuminosity.net/