[thechat] Presentation of food

Tara Cleveland tara at taracleveland.com
Thu Jan 30 13:48:01 CST 2003

Madhu Menon wrote:
> Look at those portions. I'd finish that in less than 60 seconds. What's the
> point?
>
> What are your thoughts?

I'm sort of the opposite. That's about the right amount of food for me. If I
got an appetiser and a dessert with that, I'd be totally stuffed. I actually
hate it when the portions are huge and I can't finish it and end up wasting
half the food. I also like getting appetisers and desserts and having a
range of things to try - of course, if it's a really expensive restaurant, I
won't get an appetiser and a dessert because it just costs too much.

Here in Toronto (and elsewhere I expect), people often share food when
eating in Asian restaurants (Thai, Chinese, Indian, Malay, Singaporean,
Vietnamese etc.). So if you have 4 people, you order 3-5 entrees, some
appetisers, some rice to go along side, everyone tries each dish and the
really hungry people can eat more and the not-so hungry can eat less. If no
one is satisfied, it's easy to order another entree. Of course, the prices
are less for a typical entree...

I also find that typical American chain restaurants have portions that are
completely insane. In fact, I've shared one meal with two other people and
been satisfied. It may also have something to do with the obesity problem in
the US.

I've also seen restaurants have small and large versions of their entrees. I
quite like that idea, because it allows me to pay a bit less for the small
version, not waste food, and my hungry friends can get the big portions and
be satisfied when they leave. I'm happy, they're happy and the restaurant is
happy.

Tara