[thechat] Presentation of food

Hugh Blair hblair at hotfootmail.com
Thu Jan 30 14:19:00 CST 2003

> > I also find that typical American chain restaurants have
> > portions that are completely insane.
>
> Are they also more expensive because of that?

Oh, maybe they could cut their food costs down by 20%-25%,
but part of the US problem is that we normally expect great
quantities or we don't think we got proper value ;)

Would they lower their 'retail' price by the same amount?
Probably not. In many ways, we're a nation of excesses.
I'd bet that if some chain restaurant reduce their portions,
they'd be perceived as being 'cheap' - toward the lower end
of the 'good' scale. Many times, success is based on perception.

Hugh