[thechat] Presentation of food

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Jan 31 03:15:00 CST 2003

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Ben Dyer wrote:

> At 02:41 PM 1/30/2003, you wrote:
> >At 02:03 AM 31-01-03, Ben Dyer wrote:
> >>And the pretentious staff didn't want to do anything about it.
> >
> >Except take their 15% tip, I suppose?
>
> 18%.  The most pretentious of the pretentious restaurants charge 18% around
> here (that I've seen).

Hang on - is that on the bill, so a service charge rather than a tip? Do
they expect a tip as well?

> These are also the restaurants where the scammers work who double-swipe
> your credit card or swipe it on a personal reader to rip you off at a later
> date.

Not for much longer...
http://www.chipandpin.co.uk/cardholders/index.html
becoming a global standard, specifically to combat this (and other) kinds
of card fraud.

And people think the *Internet* is insecure. Sheesh.

Cheers
Martin