[thechat] Presentation of food

Bob Davis bob at bobdavis.org
Fri Jan 31 07:43:01 CST 2003

On Friday, January 31, 2003, at 12:14  AM, Madhu Menon wrote:

>> Maybe you would, if you were very hungry and didn't have any courses
>> prior to the main dish.
>
> Ah, but Asian food doesn't really have "courses" at all. It's "family
> style" - all at one shot, including soup. :)

You're comparing French food to Asian food then.
Don't.

The portion size and the style of presentation are determined by local
custom or the history of the food. There's a way to eat at a Dim Sum
restaurant, but I wouldn't expect to eat like that anywhere else.

That food is definitely French in preparation, but is made from Asian
ingredients - we call it "fusion" here. That's why the portion size is
what it is - they are anticipating courses.

Look at the menus this place has (one is opening in San Antonio - it
looks interesting)
http://www.thebambooclub.com/cuisine.html

"Pacific Rim Cuisine". Just another name for fusion, generally.

bob