[thechat] Presentation of food

Tara Cleveland tara at taracleveland.com
Fri Jan 31 08:24:00 CST 2003

Andrew Forsberg wrote:
> [still consider my student dishwashing days as some of my best -- tips
> were shared, nice... and it was appreciated]

I agree. I worked in a restaurant in Bath, England as a sous-chef and chief
bottle-washer for awhile. We shared tips. The kitchen staff got less than
the wait staff, but it was enough to make the kitchen hop on a busy Saturday
night. If we didn't have the promise of a few extra bucks (well pounds
actually) for the extra crazy work, we probably would have been a bit more
sluggish on really busy nights. I've never seen tips shared in Toronto
restaurants, and I think it's a shame. It gets the whole place working as a
team, making the food come out great, hot, quick and the service with a
smile... Then there's never the pay me a good tip because it was the
kitchen's fault thing...

Tara