[thechat] Presentation of food

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 31 18:05:00 CST 2003

> From: Ben Dyer <ben_dyer at imaginuity.com>
> > > The worst steak I've ever had in my life was at a high-dollar
> > > restaurant (read: $40, 8 oz. steak): cold, blood red, crunchy on
> > > the outside, chewy on the inside, all fat.
> >
> >how did you ask for it to be cooked?
>
> Medium or Medium Well, depends on if I know how a restaurant will cook
> a steak.  Many restaurants won't cook it less than medium anyways for
> health reasons, which is why I was surprised when it was blood red.
[...]

i have a mail filter rule that alerts me anytime anyone uses the
words "steak" and "well" in the same email...

steak should be eaten rare to medium rare... anything above that is
a dishonor to the memory of the cow...

that being said, what was the cut of meat? some cuts are chewy,
some are like butter... crispy on the outside isn't abnormal either...
if a steak is seared, often with ground pepper or other things, the
outside should be crisp and carmalized -- it holds the juices in...

when i grill steak, i get the fire so hot the neighbors complain, then
i throw the steak on the grill for a moment each side to sear it...
then i scratch my forehead, pull the steak off, and ignore the fact
that it is essentially raw... it is the nectar of the gods...

ok, back to the midgets and their cheese graters for me...

--
my latest book project:
  Web Graphics for Non-Designers