[thechat] Presentation of food

David Wagner dave at worlddomination.net
Sat Feb 1 20:08:01 CST 2003

Madhu wrote:
> I was reading this rant site a year about restaurant tipping, where they
> wrote, "You know that lousy steak? We didn't make it, so don't take out
> your anger at the chef on the service staff. Leave a proper tip even if
the
> food wasn't good."

Any good customer will use the waitstaff (politely, of course) as a relay to
the chef. If the message gets through, the service is good and deserves a
tip. It's important to clearly separate those roles.

Sometimes, of course, it's hard to tell. If you send your meal back and it
returns to you just as bad, it could be the fault of a bad kitchen, or it
could be that your server took the plate back, spat on it, warmed it under a
heat lamp for 30 seconds, and brought it back to you. You just never know.

But these are the risks you take when you ask someone else to serve you. I
give anyone the benefit of the doubt when they're in a service position.
It's just the right thing to do.

"It's not tipping I believe in -- it's overtipping."
- Vinnie (Steve Martin), "My Blue Heaven"

--

David Wagner
dave at worlddomination.net