[thechat] Recipe: Gingery Chicken Sweet Corn Soup

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Mon Feb 3 14:15:00 CST 2003

At 08:31 PM 03-02-03, Tara Cleveland wrote:

>I made your Gingery Chicken Sweet Corn Soup for dinner last night. It was
>fabulous.

Goodie. MadMan's food touches people across continents. :)

>I used regular old salty stock... but I did attempt to get Chinese stuff and
>couldn't decide what I should get. There are about 20 different kinds of
>stock at my grocery store - the closest I could find were Chinese Won Ton
>soup base.

Yep, that's probably the one you want. Won Tons are usually served in a
light stock.

The difference between a Chinese stock and a French stock is that the
Chinese version is a light, mildly flavoured, unsalted stock with only
spring onions and ginger in it. A French stock on the other hand has many
more flavours, including...

[Checks Jacques Pepin's Complete Techniques - http://tinyurl.com/5a3j ]

...celery, onions, carrots, leeks, cloves, bay leaves, etc.

>It's better than dried ginger powder, but not as good as really fresh
>ginger.

Ginger powder is terrible. I can send you many ginger-based recipes if you
want to use up your ginger. In any case, it lasts well for two weeks in the
fridge.

The Chinese sometimes store peeled ginger in rice wine. This preserves the
ginger and also provides a flavoured wine for cooking.

>*I didn't have any rice wine (for some reason I thought the recipe called
>for rice wine vinegar - which I *do* have), so I used old white wine that I
>use for cooking instead.

Hmmm... probably fruitier. I've never used Western grape wine in cooking.
You can buy Chinese rice wine at...

[looks up bookmarks]

...oh, Canada? Damn, time to Google then.

[Googles]

Damn, it ain't easy finding someone who ships to Canada.

hmmm... this one seems to:
http://store.yahoo.com/tayabas/gensym-2868.html
(That's what you need, btw. Not the white version.)

Here's another:
http://www.ethnicgrocer.com/eg/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=EthnicGrocer&product%5Fid=07084400532
(URL wrap alert)

If your neighbourhood oriental grocer is Chinese, tell him/her that you
want "Siew Hing Jao" (pronunciation in Cantonese) or "Shao Hsing Jyo"
(Mandarin)

>*I added about a tablespoon of Thai sweet red chili sauce instead of
>tobasco. Makes it a very little bit spicy, but also keeps the sweet flavour.

*Tablespoon*? Phew.

>I used about 3/4 cup of
>chopped spring onions for a doubled recipe.

That's about triple alright. A bit much, IMO, but as long as you like it...

>My husband and I both loved the soup. Actually, he *raved* about it. It was
>super quick to prepare. Thanks Madhu.

You're welcome. I'm tickled pink that the recipe worked so well across so
many miles. One of the members of this list emailed me to say that my Tom
Yam Gai recipe worked well for him.

>I'll try another one of your recipes
>soon and let you know how it turned out.

You do that. :D

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
Internet User Experience Consultant
e-mail: webguru at vsnl.net   |   Yahoo messenger: cold_logic

Content * Interfaces * Usability * Net Strategy