[thechat] Journey of Man

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue Feb 4 21:23:00 CST 2003

The DNA thing patterns are where I get confused also... but anyway,
he's tracking patterns on the y chromosome.  Women don't have a y
chromosome.  He says that men give their y chromosome to their sons
in a relatively intact state.  So that enables him to track patterns
on the y chromosome.

woman: xx
man: xy

The "adam" thing weirds me out, it's too biblical.  I guess they are
trying to make it accessible for us when they use those terms...

I do wish they had explained the DNA pattern thing a bit better on the show.

Erika