[thechat] interesting

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Thu Feb 6 17:11:40 CST 2003

Kevin Isom wrote:
>> just lucky enough to have the conservative media
>> behind his image.
>
> Conservative media??? The media in the states (and most parts of the world
> for that matter) are extremely liberal.

Ha ha. Damn that's funny.  Perhaps you don't read the Washington Post.
Or the Wall Street Journal.  Or Newsweek. Or anything published by
Gannett. Or watch Fox "News".  Or listen to talk radio.  Or understand
that less than 10 huge companies control 90% of all mainstream media
outlets.  I consider it more Corporate media rather than Conservative
media but its completely laughable to call it liberal.

>> Also note that he got a 25% disapproval rating his first two weeks in
>> office. Now disapproval up to 34%. Apparently stealing an election was
>> not as big a deal as what's going on now.
>
> Stealing? Not that anyone ever made a big deal about it, but they did those
> recounts the democrats wanted...Guess what? Bush won by an even larger
> margin...Nobody likes talking about that. The whole controversy in Florida
> was the democrats wanted a recount in certain areas, the Republicans wanted
> a recount statewide because it's unfair to the rest of the people that only
> some of the people get the recount.
He didn't steal the election, he bought it fair and square.  Jeb
promised he'd deliver Florida and boy did he ever.  Illegally purging
the voter roles of people who should have had their voting rights
restored.  Doing everything possible to discourge minorities from
voting.  Upgrading elections equipment in wealthy white areas while
using old more error prone equipment in heavily democratic precincts.
Having Katherine Harris try and certify the vote and make a challenge
moot before anyone could get a challenge together.  Registering overseas
military voters in key districts instead of their home towns.  Shipping
out absentee ballots to those military voters instead of having the
voters have to request them like every other voter in Florida.  It
continues on and on.

And he still lost the popular vote after outspending and out lying his
opponents.  Only the democrats could have done things so stupidly as to
lose that election.

> As for what's going on now...The economic downturn was in full swing before
> Bush was even in office, he's having to reap what 8 years of liberals have
> sown.
More funny bits.  Longest peace time economic expansion in US history.
Low unemployment rates.  Huge projected surplus (even with the stock
market downturn).  Bush's answer:  We've got all this money, lets cut
taxes for the rich and throw a bone to the middle class.  Why don't we
pay down the debt like we have been?  Naw, says Bush, tax cuts will
inspire consumer confidence and increase the amount of money people will
invest in the stock market.  The stock market continues to tank.  The
surplus disappears under the combined burden of low economic confidence
and a huge tax cut.  Stock market bottoms out a bit and manufacturing is
brightening up a bit.  But consumer confidence is still very weak.
Solution?  Another tax cut!  The last one didn't work so maybe this
will?  Bush pushes war announces huge plans for tax cuts and the biggest
deficit the US has ever seen.  And the stock market tanks again!
Consumer confidence is still in the toilet.  The market hates sabre
rattling.  Energy prices are climbing steadily.  Unemployment is
rampant.  And we've got bigger deficits!  With Republicans in charge of
both houses and the White House.

This administration couldn't plan its way out of a wet paper bag.

Judah