[thechat] Getting closer

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sun Feb 9 18:00:01 CST 2003

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Elfur Logadottir wrote:

> | When I consider Iraq and my own beliefs I conclude that something should
> be
> | done.  I think about the people in Iraq - I wonder if perhaps many of
> them
> | want Saddam gone.
>
> That may well be the case, and looking at it from a democratic point of
> view, most certainly, but couldn't the same be argued for in many other
> countries, don't many Americans want Bush gone, what about all the African
> nations?

And indeed, what would the US response be if the Iraqi people wanted
Saddam..? Democracy when it suits? Didn't the US demand regime change in
the Palestinian state, even though Arafat is supported by the majority?

> Doesn't the same apply to China or many nations in Africa,
> haven't the humans there suffered as much, if not more than the Iraqis? by
> using the same argument, shouldn't China have been invaded years ago?

Also compare the enforcement of certain UN resolutions, compared with
others...

Cheers
Martin