[thechat] The Death of Democracy...

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Fri Feb 14 12:00:01 CST 2003

Tara Cleveland wrote:
> I don't know too much about the other people but Ernst Zundel wasn't
> arrested because he was a holocaust denier or because he was against the
> Canadian Government, he was arrested because he contravened the hate speech
> laws in Canada. There were huge and sometimes militant demonstrations
> against him by the *people* - and let me tell you I knew a bunch of those
> people and they weren't friends of the Canadian government either. It's not
> some government conspiracy against racists.

Actually Ernst Zundel was just arrested on trumped up immigration charges.

News site: http://www.thedailytimes.com/sited/story/html/120913

His wife's account:
http://www.zundelsite.org/zundel_persecuted/zundel_arrested.html

I don't know if I would call it a "conspiracy" per se, because what the
government is doing isn't all that secret.  We know that they are
heavily pushing Immigration charges in populations that may have
questionable loyalty to the government.  We know that the government has
helped the airline industry put together a secret "no fly" list that is
heavily slanted toward activist groups that oppose the government.  We
know that the government is now monitoring library reading habits to
check for "suspicious" patterns.  We know that the use of secret courts
is on the rise and that indefinite detainment without legal recourse can
now be used on American citizens.  We know that the CIA can get away
with killing a US citizen.

I don't think that there is any special round up of white supremacists
going on.  And I don't think that the government is cracking down on
them harder because of their point of view.  I think its part of the
general trend toward losing our freedoms in this country.  And there are
lots of people pushing for a crack down on freedom.  The New York Sun
just ran an editorial pushing the NY police to continue denying a
marching permit for the Feb. 15th anitwar rally and to set up exstensive
photo surveillance of the crowd for later treason prosecution.  Being
anti war and expressing yourself is treason now in many peoples view.

And for the record, I agree with the author of the article on one point:
  John Ashcroft is an evil man.  And I don't use that term lightly. No
redeeming qualities.  The worst type of bully.  How could he ever have
been appointed to a powerful government post after he lost an election
to a dead man?  The people of his own state disliked him so much that
they voted for a dead guy instead.  We should have listened to them.

Judah