[thechat] London demo: police estimate 1.3million (until later revised for the press)

Kevin Stevens kjs at ratking.co.uk
Sun Feb 16 05:51:01 CST 2003

> A ton of shit today.  Apparently I was evil in
> a past life, because the biggest demo on earth
> happened here today and somehow I was landed
> with the job of making sure nothing bad
> happened.  We made it, thank god. Just finished
> dumping an aeon's worth of stuff onto the blawg
> thang.

A big pat on the back, I think, to everyone who demonstrated wherever they
were. I was so emotional when we got back from the London march, so many
people of all ages and nationalities taking to the streets to make their
voices heard. It was a total buzz, a real feeling of being involved in a
historical event, public disobedience on a scale never before witnessed.
Before we left for the march Tony Blair was giving his speech about how
Saddam must be deposed to free the Iraqi people. Funny, I thought the issue
was weapons of mass destruction. Does this mean that North Korea and China
will be next? Today the Labour party are saying that we demonstrators have
the blood of the Iraqi's on our hands because, unless he is deposed, Saddam
will go on to torture and kill many thousands more people. Sounds to me like
they are getting desperate as support is slipping away from them.

Kevin Stevens
kjs at ratking.co.uk