[thechat] Protest counts from around the world

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sun Feb 16 08:31:00 CST 2003

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, ShugMiller wrote:

> I was at the Glasgow Rally and there is no way the low count - currently
> reported on http://news.bbc.co.uk/ as 25,000 was accurate - I nipped in
> for a pint at one point, emerged from the bar a half later and simply
> rejoined the march.

Again, possibly 25k left Glasgow Green, but a *lot* of people joined at
George Square, which is the traditional starting point of marches, and
right by the station, and a lot more people walking down to Glasgow Green
would have just joined when they saw friends. We did.

I'm sure you saw the same, Shug, but at the top of the hill on St Vincent
Street by Blythswood Square, the march stretched as far as I could see in
either direction. That's about 18 blocks for those used to that kind of
measure.
http://yurel.com/3e4fa027e13ba

And we'd been at the SECC for maybe 90 minutes exchanging SMS with people
who were still marching.

Cheers
Martin