[thechat] Photography: Red Eyes

R.Livsey R.Livsey at cache-22.co.uk
Sun Feb 16 14:36:17 CST 2003

Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:

>Hello Everybody,
>While reading an ebook about PS, I came across a lesson which dealt with red
>eyes of people in photographs. The ebook tells that it often happens in
>photographs that the eyes of the people look red. I haven't experienced this
>while using my Yashica camera.
>There are some good photographers in this list. I know because I follow links to
>their photography. I want to ask them:
>What is this "red eyes" problem technically?
>Why does it occur?
>Any remedy?
>
>Thank you!

Red eye is when the flash bounces back off the subjects retina.
Just did a quick google..

http://photographytips.com/page.cfm/434

"In effect, you took a picture of the interior of your subject’s
eyeballs. With the flash being so close to your lens, its light went
through your subject’s iris, lit up the retina – which is red in color
due to its blood vessels – and captured that redness on film."

I seem to have it on almost every photo anyone takes of me!
Could be a problem with being 6'4" I suppose. Most of my friends usually
get away without it and me being higher up in the picture gets more of
the flash bounced back?

--
R.Livsey
Incutio Web Developer