[thechat] Photography: Red Eyes

javier velasco lists at mantruc.com
Mon Feb 17 09:58:00 CST 2003

Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:

> What is this "red eyes" problem technically?
> Why does it occur?
> Any remedy?

It's already been explained, but there's some part of the phenomenon that has not...

This only happens when using flash in a dark environment, and you subject has her iris (?) very open.
This does not happen when using flash as a fill-in under luminous conditions.

Some cameras have pre-flash that directs light towards the subject in orfer to have her iris closed
up to a point where the flash does not penetrate strongly enought into the retina for the bounce back
effect (anyway my camera has this and it's no use).

One home-made solution for this (which I haven't tried) could be to make the person look directly at
a light source for some seconds and then quickly take the shot before the iris expands again.

hth
javier