[thechat] what is this thing anyway?

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Wed Feb 26 10:27:01 CST 2003

abbey wrote:
> Just out of curiousity, I went to cooks.com and turned up more than 1300
> recipes for pot roast -- oh great, now I'm going to have to try some of those
> too.
>
> oh dang, it's not even lunch time yet!! I'm getting hungry already . . .

My big thing about pot roast is that it has to be done in a cast iron
dutch oven.

I take a nicely marbled rump roast (or similar cut), slice a bunch of
garlic, make slices into the roast and then insert the garlic slices
into the roast.  Then I rub it down with salt and pepper and quickly
sear it on all sides.  I then take a sweet yellow onion (Walla Walla if
you can find them), slice it fairly thick and line the bottom of the
dutch oven with the onions.  I place the roast on top of the bed of
onions and surround it with carrots and potatoes on the sides.  I
usually peel the potatoes and slice them in half, but to each their own.
   Cover with a lid and place in a hot oven for a few hours until
everything is as tender as you want.

Fabulous stuff, pot roast.  Now I'm have to make one.

Judah