[thechat] cooked carrots (was: what is this thing anyway?)

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Thu Feb 27 15:35:01 CST 2003

On Thursday, February 27, 2003, at 02:26  PM, Madhu Menon wrote:
> At 01:39 AM 28-02-03, Erik Mattheis wrote:
>> Perhaps so, but all the SE Asian restaurants here serve it.
>
> Ah, SE Asian. I thought you were talking about pure Chinese
> restaurants.

Oh, did I say "Chinese"? That's a common mistake here in the states ...
all food East Asian is "chinese" ... and despite the stated ethnicity,
most oriental restaurants are Pan-Asian to some extent. My uncle would
probably call tandoori chicken "chinese food".

> I don't understand what carrots are doing in a dipping sauce. It
> doesn't
> give any real flavour to it, and it's a bit too chunky for a dipping
> sauce.
> Strange.

It's for looks, I would think, it's Vietnamese and the sauce is called
Nuoc Cham:

<http://www.google.com/search?q=Nuoc+Cham+recipe+carrot+grated>

Erik Mattheis
GoZz Digital