[thechat] Handling a knife like a pro (was: Cooked carrots)

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Fri Feb 28 06:14:00 CST 2003

At 03:30 PM 28-02-03, Drew Shiel wrote:
>   How do you keep the oil from getting hot while you're cooking the food?

Me no understand.

The oil *should* be hot when you're cooking, or it will seep into the food.
What some people do (wrongly) is to put the oil in the pan and then heat
them both. Instead, you first heat the wok till it's almost smoking, and
then pour the oil in. This instantly heats the oil and creates a
"non-stick" film on it, which prevents food from sticking, and ensures that
your stir-fry doesn't become a "sticky fry". :)

Unless you're using butter, of course. That can't be heated to very high
temperatures like say peanut oil. But then, I never use butter in my
kitchen. I'll leave that to the French. :p

Madhu