[thechat] ugh ugh WTC

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Fri Feb 28 14:34:00 CST 2003

Madhu Menon wrote:
> At 01:43 AM 01-03-03, Sabrina Dent, Apperception wrote:
>
>> And am I the only one who is really, really unhappy about building "the
>> world's tallest building" in that site?
>

> I wonder what structural reinforcement they're doing to this one, if you
> know what I mean.
>
> Fuck, those are ugly. Why not make it an octagon or a sphere while they're
> at it? :(

I like it best out of all the designs.  I thought the THINK group design
was interesting, but too skeletal.  This design has good incorporation
of light and greenspace and looks like it will actually function as a
set of office buildings.  Of course many people think its ugly.  That's
because its challenging.  This competition was started because the
previous designs were all boring, boxy office buildings.  NY wanted
something that would be a landmark, not a big box.  They got it.  It's a
21st century building and it will take awhile for people to appreciate it.

Judah