[thechat] ugh ugh WTC

Mike Migurski mike at saturn5.com
Fri Feb 28 16:25:01 CST 2003

>I don't understand that statement. Who is "NY"? I'm a New Yorker; I was
>born and raised in Manhattan. The most important thing to me was that the
>winning design have some dignity. Instead, we have a futuristic
>Disneyworld. How revolting. How crass. How offensive.

We Americans have the most unadventurous architectural taste in the world.

The second anyone proposes something truly interesting, challenging, or
otherwise shocking, everyone falls into fits because it's offensive, or
whatever.... I'd much prefer to live in a city where building have some
innate personality--even if some people think it's gaudy--than a landscape
of steel and glass boxes. I'm not too big on the brutal minimalist
approach... reminds me of Office Space write large. :)

Besides, this thing is not going to be viewed from above, like this model
- it will be viewed from inside and below. Wish they'd posted photos with
that p.o.v. so people could make a better judgement.

>These buildings don't exist in isolation, you know. New Yorkers have to
>live with these things. And what's so, so ironic is that the WTC? It was
>ugly. It blemished lower Manhattan. It cast shadows across the island for
>MILES.

well, a minimal square footage count for offices to replace the old ones
was a requirement - it was either going to tall/narrow, or wide/flat. Or
underground. take yer pick. ;)

                 http://www.saturn5.com/mike/contact.html

                "Freedom! Horrible, horrible freedom!"