[thechat] Handling a knife like a pro (was: Cooked carrots)

David Wagner dave at worlddomination.net
Fri Feb 28 18:29:00 CST 2003

Ron wrote:
> Oh, now I feel guilty. 'Visual impact' is the only thing I've used mine
> for so far.
>
> I found a 100+ year old cleaver at an estate sale and just _had_ to have
it!

You're not alone. A few years ago, I inherited a rather chunky meat cleaver
that originally belonged to my great-grandfather, who started a butcher shop
around the turn of the century. It's hanging on my bedroom wall, and has a
tendency to scare people away.

> It's a huge heavy old monster ... I've never even taken the tape off the
edge
> to see how sharp it might be.

Mine's dull enough that you couldn't really use it, but sharp enough (and
heavy enough) that you wouldn't want to drop it on your foot. It's also
almost entirely black -- I don't think it's been cleaned in the last 80
years. I keep meaning to fix it up, but then I'd be tempted to use it... for
cooking, of course.

--

David Wagner
dave at worlddomination.net