[thechat] US to redraw world maps

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Sat Mar 8 04:13:00 CST 2003

On Friday, March 7, 2003, at 01:28  PM, Judah McAuley wrote:
> http://www.nwc.navy.mil/newrulesets/ThePentagonsNewMap.htm

Indeed, interesting reading. And proof that it comes down to whether
you're dispositioned to believe that humans can get along without being
forced to or that sometimes you have to agree to disagree.

The author doesn't commit any logical fallacies that I noticed (a
surprise for in comparison to everything I disagree with [emoticon of
your choice]), but uses the a priori assumption that people have no
collective power other than militarily - which isn't surprising being
that it's published on a .mil domain ... I'd indeed like to have drinks
with this old-timer, we're just coming from different directions:

<quote>
In sum, it is always possible to fall off this  bandwagon called
globalization.  And when you do, bloodshed will follow.
</quote>

<quote>
What was interesting about all those scenarios is  the assumption that
only an advanced state can truly threaten us.  [...] That assumption
was shattered by September 11.
</quote>

I would not define the deaths of 00.0001% of the population as
"shattering", rather, "a symbolic accomplishment". (forgive me if I
forgot a few zeros).

<quote>
In my mind, we fight fire with fire.
</quote>

<quote>
FOR MOST COUNTRIES, accommodating [...] transparency [..] is no mean
feat, which is  something most Americans find hard to understand
</quote>

Including the US, being that Bush's approval rating is still over 50%
... google for <search>energy task force gao </search>, or read
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A53542-2003Mar6.html>
for a starting point.

<quote>
Some states like Qatar and  Jordan are ripe for perestroika-like leaps
into better political futures, thanks  to younger leaders who see the
inevitability of such change.  Iran is likewise  waiting for the right
Gorbachev to come along—if he has not already. What stands in the path
of this change?  Fear.
</quote>

I'd wager that the author is over 65 and submitted the article in a
non-computer readable format ... and can't understand that putting the
money he proposes be spent militarily would be better spent on getting
the World "wired".

In fact, I think I'd totally agree with him if you go through and
replace references to the physical world with references to the
electronic world. IE, instead of "Show me a part of the world that is
secure in its peace and I will show you a strong or growing ties
between local militaries and  the U.S. military" ...

"Show me a part of the world that is secure in its  peace and I will
show you a strong or growing Internet connectivity."
Erik Mattheis
GoZz Digital
<http://goZz.com/>
Flash and ColdFusion Development