[thechat] contract work rant

abbey abbey at abbeyink.com
Thu Mar 13 14:41:36 CST 2003

On Thu March 13 2003 1:25 pm, Madhu Menon wrote:
> It was work for hire. You don't have a "right" to advertise it, since all
> rights to that code now belong to the person you worked for.

I know -- that's what's frustrating -- that I did something so stooopid!

Erika, in a way it was work-for-hire, even though it was agreed that I
wouldn't be paid money for the work. It was supposed to be one of those
mutually-beneficial things -- I do the code to make her site look really good
and then she gets more business and hires me for more work (and she does pay
when she hires me).

That part worked, I just sorta thought the mutually beneficial part would go
both ways. Live and learn, right?

No, Madhu, on this one there was no official contract although it did bring in
more work. So, since I can't really complain, I just thought I'd vent a bit.

8(

poorer but wiser -- again!