[thechat] 103 Pak prisoners return from US - PakTribune

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Thu Mar 20 13:49:11 CST 2003

Drew wrote:

>  I explained by saying it was exaggeration, rhetorical, and that I
>was Irish, >and therefore that's normal communication for me. I was
>attacked in no >uncertain terms, by people calling me racist and
>saying there was "no such >thing as culture", only individual
>behaviour.

oh, let me guess: you were attacked by white (American?) males.

"no such thing as culture" what a crock.  That's like the "race is
invisible to us, la la la" people.  They think that by denying race
or culture, it doesn't exist...

In actually, by denying that cultural differences exist, you make
every behavior that doesn't jive with your definition of of proper
somehow "deviant."  Now THAT is racist.

Native North American children from every tribe I know are taught to
always defer to elders.   Elders go first in food lines, or children
make plates and carry them to their grandparents.

In "generic American culture" it's first come, first serve.

So who gets to make up the rules?  Who is right, who is deviant?  Are
the Native children who hang back "not assertive enough" or are white
American children who serve themselves first greedy and inconsiderate?

"No such thing as culture," give me frickin break!
Could anyone other than a white American male come up with that statement?
If so, I would like to know.

>   Democracy is the best form of government.

possibly. and yes, we are taught this in school.  Schools are places
where this stuff gets planted in our heads...

>   Money is good, more money is better.

You are depressing me, but you are probably right.
(This is another thing that goes directly against most Native
cultural views, by the way, especially when the expense of
wealth-gathering is the long term survival of humans and other living
things...)

>   Freedom of speech is the most important right, after life.

Maybe, again.  I certainly have a fond spot for free speech. (not
sure about "after life" -- I'd nix the "life one...  We have the
death penalty, we like war...  the abortion debate is fueled by
extremists, IMO)

-- Unfortunately when "freedom of speech" can be bought and sold at
such high prices, is it really free anymore?

>   Television is the normal form of entertainment.

Television is more than entertainment... but yes...

Also, Americans need royalty, need mythological figures, and we tend
to build them out of our entertainers: TV, movie, rock stars.  And
the line gets blurred between politicians, royalty (Princess Di), and
entertainment stars... they are all mythological heros for us... and
we love to see them rise and fall...

Erika