[thechat] protests?

Mike Migurski mike at saturn5.com
Fri Mar 21 00:22:21 CST 2003

>Anybody here participate in protests today?

San Francisco was great - In the morning, you could feel it rising from
downtown to my neighborhood (I live in the Lower Haight), and streets were
jammed with cars trying to navigate around the blockages. I ride a bike,
so I was able to take a nice ride through most of it on my way into work.

In the afternoon, I spent a solid 3 hours walking around the Market street
area, soaking it in. It was, for the most part, non-violent - a lot of
people blocking intersections. The only altercations I know of occurred
when protesters attempted to shut down entrances to the Bay Bridge, and
when cops occasionally had to clear intersections to let a backlog of cars
through.

Otherwise the mood was somewhat celebratory, exhilerating. In general I'd
say it was a success, on the basis of the stated goal of disrupting
downtown business for purpose of making the dissatisfaction felt.

                 http://mike.teczno.com/contact.html

                 The moon belongs to America, and anxiously
                 awaits the arrival of our astro-men.
                 Will you be among them?