[thechat] protests?

Bill Haenel mail at webmarketingworx.com
Fri Mar 21 12:13:00 CST 2003

> > I'm guessing it's noticable they're going for, but I think
> > there are better ways to do it.
>
> I understand that people are looking to voice their opinions, but can
> these protests really be viewed as a force for change, or are they just
> people venting their frustration?

Both, I'd guess.

If protests are successful in reminding politicians that there is a
possibility of not being re-elected, perhaps they could be effective in
causing a change. But also, aren't protests a different way to project one's
feelings of anger and discontent out among others?

Obviously this war will have a great effect on people all over the world,
not the least of whom being the Iraqis. Just based on simple principles of
cause and effect, it would be be silly to think that an act of this scale
wouldn't cause some great ripple effects one way or the other for all
concerned. Protests are just one of those effects.

If you're acting out with anger of any kind, either with or against the war,
prepare to be touched by violence. It will almost certainly come your way
eventually. The Buddhists say that ANY action made in anger is violence.

Ultimately, the greatest cost of this event to Americans will be in the
divisions and aggressions it will create between America's own people. Maybe
second will be the divisons and aggressions between Americans and other
people of the world. These are the costs that are most difficult to
compensate for as time goes by. These are the costs that can take decades to
overcome.

Please forgive my emergence from lurk-mode to deliver a sermon. I promise it
will be my one and only for the duration of this war.

BH