[thechat] protests?

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Fri Mar 21 14:21:09 CST 2003

I'm insulted by your message Debbe. I'll try to temper my response.

On Friday, March 21, 2003, at 11:47 AM, Debbe Watson wrote:
> I understand both sides of this issue and
Assuming that by "this issue" you mean "the unprovoked United States
led attack on the sovereignty of another nation." If I'm correct, to
understand one side of it you either have to:

1. Have blind faith Hussein has WMD and furthermore feel personally
threatened.
2. Disagree with International Law that has for half a century
effectively contained the reign of ruthless dictators.
3. Believe that might makes right.

Have I left out a possibility?

There is no middle ground on this issue. You either back unprovoked
aggression, are against it, or have no opinion.

> of course no one wants war.

Except the people who carry signs "BOMB IRAQ" and the Executive Branch
of the US government!

How could someone start a war without "wanting to"? Seriously, that is
a serious question, I'd like you to answer it.

> We live in a free and open society so everyone has the right to
> protest,

Things have happened that you're not aware of this week. Hundreds of
people in various US cities have been arrested for legally assembling
and asserting their First Amendment rights in an orderly and peaceful
manner. I can send you links if you wish.

> however there are bigger things in this picture than the individual
> protestor.

That is why we try to protest in groups!

> Protesting did not prevent war from beginning, so logically, who would
> think at this point protesting would halt it in its tracks.

I don't think anybody reasonable believed that it would stop an
administration hell-bent on war. And they've stated that they won't be
swayed by what people think, so I'm not hopeful that any amount of
protesting will bring an end to it sooner.

> My concern about present day protestors are:

I'm so glad you're concerned about personal choices I make.

> 1.  They are providing large crowd opportunities for terriorists.

Bring them on. Show me the terrorists.

> 2.  They are risking injury to themselves and others around them.

Not sure what you mean, could you elaborate?

> 3.  They are distracting military and local law enforcement from very
> important duties and issues concerning national security, regardless of
> what country they are in.

That's exactly the point! To raise a ruckus. That's what every living
creature does to indicate discontent. Make noise!

> 4.  They are wasting tax payer dollars on events which are not being
> recognized by the powers that be.

Bush, Cheney, Rummy, et al are wasting millions of my tax dollars a
minute on events which are not recognized as legitimate by the World
community or myself.

> 5.  They are risking repercussions on many levels and their futures by
> having an arrest record.... even just for protesting.

Again, thanks for your concern for me, but I don't want it.

Among the reasons I protest ...

1. To show the rest of the world that not all Americans are raving
homicidal lunatics.
2. To embolden people that are against the war but not speaking out to
speak out.
3. To make myself feel better about being a US Citizen.
4. To show the Federal government that I believe they are not governing
well.

--
vanity project in progress:
<http://goZz.com/presents/aristotle/>