[thechat] protests?

Bill Haenel mail at webmarketingworx.com
Fri Mar 21 15:25:31 CST 2003

Point/counterpoint...

> If I'm correct, to
> understand one side of it you either have to:
> 1. Have blind faith Hussein has WMD and furthermore feel personally
> threatened.

I'm not saying I buy the WMD thing, but if I did, why would my faith be
blind while yours sees so clearly?

> 2. Disagree with International Law that has for half a century
> effectively contained the reign of ruthless dictators.

Which ones did International Law contain again? And how were those laws
implemented?

> 3. Believe that might makes right.

There are many levels of "might". Do any of them make right?

> Have I left out a possibility?

A. Have a legitimate belief that someone in the White House knows what
they're talking about. (not sayin' it's my belief, mind you)
B. Feel scared by the unknown. (which is usually why people strike out
aggressively when they don't have all of the facts, no?)

> There is no middle ground on this issue.

Whoa, man. There is ALWAYS middle ground.

> You either back unprovoked
> aggression, are against it, or have no opinion.

That's almost exactly what Mr. Bush said when he couldn't get the world to
think like he does..."You're either wid us or agin us"? (paraphrased, of
course)

> How could someone start a war without "wanting to"? Seriously, that is
> a serious question, I'd like you to answer it.

I accidentally left lipstick on my collar once and my girlfriend found it
and...(just kidding)

> Among the reasons I protest ...
>
> 1. To show the rest of the world that not all Americans are raving
> homicidal lunatics.
> 2. To embolden people that are against the war but not speaking out to
> speak out.
> 3. To make myself feel better about being a US Citizen.
> 4. To show the Federal government that I believe they are not governing
> well.

And thank God you can and do so, Erik. Our country needs you to do it. Thank
you.

I'm not saying you do otherwise, but please protest peacefully and tell all
of your friends to do so as well. One bad turn does not deserve another. Who
is to blame if someone is hurt during a protest? Who holds the
responsibility for the protestors' actions?

BH