[thechat] Japanese translation

Kevin Stevens kjs at ratking.co.uk
Sun Mar 23 16:09:46 CST 2003

If I remember correctly, one of our number works in Japan and, I'm
presuming, knows a bit of the language. My wife has won yet another
competition, more for my benefit really, which is backstage passes to meet a
Japanese band (the Mad Capsule Markets if you have heard of them) when they
play London this week. I have seen them before and I know their grasp of
English isn't good so we would like to at least greet them in their own
language. A Dutch friend of ours has sent us this greeting, and he's not the
sort of guy who would wind us up, but I would just like confirmation that I
would not be saying anything offensive or stupid.

Konban-wa
Hajimemashite
Kevin desu
Yoroshiku onegaishimasu

which should be pronounced...

Kon-bahn-wa
Ha-jee-may-mah-shtay
Kevin des
Yo-ro-shku o-nay-guy-shee-mas

and literally means...

Good evening
Good to meet you (lit: good to start relations with you)
I'm Kevin
Please take care of our relationship in the future

Is this right, or is it a bit over the top?

Thanks
Kevin Stevens
kjs at ratking.co.uk